Remington Model 1858
It was the first weapon we knew when we started to play SG. It is the classical western firearm, a legend….
So, let’s see some information about this famous revolver.
It was a single action, six shot percussion revolver. It was made two calibres: 0.44 inch (Army model), 0.36 inch (Navy model).
There were three progressive models:
- Remington-Beals Army and Navy
- Remington 1861 Army and Navy
- Remington new model Army and Navy
The three models are nearly the same in look and size. The hammers, loading levers and the cylinders are different.
Some information about the specification (Army model):
- Weight: 2 lb, 13 oz (approximately 1,3 kg)
- Length: 13,25 inch
- Barrel length: 8 inch
- Effective range sighted in at 75 yards
Cartridge: powder and ball, or paper cartridge with conical bullet.
Remington manufactured approximately 132.000 pieces of it.
Advantages of the Remington Model 1858:
- Precision of shooting
- Fast reloadable
- Safety (the explosions were very rarely with this revolver. The cause of it, its fully closed frame over the cylinder)
Disadvantages of the Remington Model 1858:
- it is sensitive to dirt
- the construction’s durability was less than the contemporary Colt models
- expensive (the cost of a Remington model 1858 and a reserve cylinder is the same as the cost of a pair of Colt Dragoon)
(Click on image for full view).